Friday, November 02, 2007

School Vouchers

I've brought it up before, but I've had this post sitting around for awhile, along with this link to a Democratic Underground discussion on school vouchers.

Most liberals oppose school vouchers at every turn, and for the life of me I just can't understand it. Parents with money can send their kids to any school they want- all vouchers do is give poor parents the same opportunities as the rich.

I understand that some people feel like voucher programs are an attack on public education, and ultimately, yes, vouchers are an attack on public education. My sense of disbelief steams from the fact that so many people find the institution of public education more important than the need of an individual child to get a decent education. Politicians and policy makers discuss education endlessly, but most of those same politicians and policy makers are opposed to giving parents and children the ability to actually make choices about education. It just baffles me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home