Thursday, July 27, 2006

What Would Israel Do?

The lonely libertarian has avoided weighing in on the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah, mainly because I don't have much to say, other than war is hell. Everyone is always so quick to take sides in these conflicts, and I hesitate to do so, but I have trouble not being sympathetic with Israel.

I'm no expert in recent Middle Eastern history, but from what I remember, I think Israel has only gone to war as a result of aggressive action taken against it in the first place. If I'm mistaken, I'd be happy to have that pointed out to me, but as far as I know, Israel has never been the initial aggressor.

Just place yourself in Israel's position- bombings and kidnappings inside your borders, surrounded by foreign leaders who continually question your right to exist- And what would you do?

Plenty of people are critical of Israel, many of them overtly so- just visit here or here on Democratic Underground to see the reactions to liberal commenters who dare to defend Israel.

But to those highly critical of this engagement, and other Israeli military actions I would ask the following question: What would you have Israel do? If a terrorist group from a neighboring country kidnapped your soldiers and shot rockets in to your country causing the death of your friends and family members, wouldn't you want some sort of military retaliation?

For over 40 years war has not solved anything in the Middle East- But the real problem is, for over 40 years, peace hasn't solved anything either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home