Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Watch Red Eye

I've been meaning to take the time to give a shout out to my new favorite show, Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld. It airs week nights on Fox News at 2:00 AM, but I've made a habit of DVR'ing it and watching it as part of my morning routine. It's pretty much just off the wall, and, in my mind, is sort of a libertarian/conservative answer to the Daily Show. But whereas the Daily Show is scripted and structured, Red Eye takes the form of a round table discussion, with host Greg Gutfeld posing questions about both wacky and serious stories to regular Bill Schultz and a variety of Fox news casters, bloggers, authors, and comedians. The result is something that seems homey to the the internet generation- a mix of politically incorrect jokes, attempted jokes that fall flat, and actual flashes of insight.

It's juvenile- crass at times- yet funny if you enjoy jokes about sex dungeons, children, and unicorns. I've been loving Red Eye, because I like talk shows and I like news shows, but just can't stand the moralizing of a Bill O'Reilly or the just plain smarmyness of all of the morning shows. Whereas the Daily Show is safe, Red Eye is not- I'm still waiting for someone to have a Don Imus moment and say something that arouses some groups ire. I just can't imagine Jon Stewart answering e-mailers on the air, telling an e-mailer "to meet me in Bryant Park at 3:00 AM. I'll be wearing the pants with the hole in the back."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home