Wednesday, November 15, 2006

War Blogging

This from today's news: Dozens Are Kidnapped At College Office In Baghdad.

I don't blog much about the war because I hate to get into specifics about which I know little, but I was just struck by this story. The question I have for Democrats, anti-war activists, and anyone else who would urge an immidiate withdrawl from Iraq, is what do you expect to happen when we leave? Whether we're talking about terrorists, or as seems likely in this case, sectarian thugs, do you honestly think that things will get better in Iraq if we leave? Fanatics will continue to attempt to overthrow the democratically elected government and secterian violence will continue.

I guess my main point is that I refuse to cede moral ground when it comes to this war. Was it worth it for the United States, was the war conducted well? These are questions that can and should be debated- and maybe my mind can be changed. But to change my moral perspective? You'd have to convince me that, 1) The Iraqi people would have been happier if we had never taken out Saddam Hussein, and 2) It's right to just up and leave a country like Iraq where they still clearly need our assistance. And that's not likely to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home