Friday, August 18, 2006

"Taking Drugs Was The Biggest Mistake Of My Life"

This is old, but entertaining: A Partnership For A Drug Free America's Parent's Guide to Answering the "Did you ever do drugs?" question. Here are the three examples they give-

"I took drugs because some of my friends used them, and I thought I needed to in order to fit in. In those days, people didn't know as much as they do now about all the bad things that can happen when you take drugs."

"Everyone makes mistakes and trying drugs was one of my biggest mistakes ever. I'll do anything to help you avoid making the same stupid decision that I made when I was your age."

"I started drinking when I was young and, as you can see, it's been a battle ever since. Because of my drinking, I missed a big part of growing up, and every day I have to fight with myself so it doesn't make me miss out on even more — my job, my relationships, and most importantly, my time with you. I love you too much to watch you make the same mistakes I've made."


It's just amazing how just out of touch these people are- That's what your supposed to tell your kid? The article starts out by saying you're not supposed to lie to your kids. And then the examples they give are blatant lies, at least as far as a great deal of parents are concerned. Most parents who smoked pot back in the 60's and 70's do not have a drug problem today. And peer pressure or "the biggest mistake of my life?" C'mon. I can just imagine how the conversation would go after the "biggest mistake of my life" quote ...

Son: So Dad, what drugs were the biggest mistake of your life?

Father: Well son, I smoked some pot, I took some acid. But I regret it today.

Son: So why was it the biggest mistake of your life?

Father: Because son, drugs are dangerous. You can become addicted, or get cancer, or heart disease. They can make you do stupid things you wouldn't do otherwise.

Son: But Dad, you're not a drug addict, and you're not sick. Did you do any stupid things?

Father: Well, the night I first met your mother, we both had been smoking pot- we headed back to my room and ... well nevermind, that's not the point. What was I saying?

Son: Wait, you met Mom while smoking pot?

Father: Well that's besides the point, that's what people did when we were in college, but that has nothing to do with what you should do today.

Son: So you're not a drug addict, you're not sick- and you married Mom, have a good job, a good home, and a good family ... Why is it I shouldn't use drugs?

Father: Well because something bad could happen to you.

Son: You mean like when I drive my car and I could get into a car wreck ....

Father: Yes ... I mean no. Of course not.

Son: Then what do you mean Dad?

Father (starts to cry- a bit of a Southpark moment really): I just don't know son- The government and all the anti-drug people told me I was supposed to warn you of the dangers of drugs. But the truth is, I smoked some pot, I drank before I was 21, and I tried a few other drugs, and I ended up just fine. And I wanted to be honest, but the anti-drug people didn't want me to be too honest.

Son: It's okay Dad. I think I understand. Drugs are like anything else in life- you can use them but you want to use them carefully. It's just like Oreo cookies- eating a few every once in awhile is okay, but you don't want to eat a whole pack in one night

Father: That's right!

Son: And you don't want to drive down Albany Avenue on a Saturday night, because you really, really need like 3 or 4 packs of Oreos.

Father: Ummmm ... yeah

Son: So it's not the drugs that are bad, but it's my choices that are good or bad- And seeing that you raised me to make good choices for myself and to stay out of trouble, you have nothing to worry about. I love you Dad.

Father: I love you son.


Sorry to get all preachy. Lonely libertarian, signing off.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem isn't with the stupid-sounding fake message. The real problem is that parents who don't or won't speak to their kids about drug and alcohol abuse (note that I said abuse and not recreational use) are the ones who really should.

Plus, if any jackass dad is going to follow that fake doofis-sounding tone it's probably going to make their kid want to take drugs to avoid turning into such a loser...

8:07 PM  
Blogger lonely libertarian said...

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of parents who regret the poor decisions they made in the past. My point here was to illustrate the fact that these anti-drug groups hold an unrealistic view of drugs in general- that there is no such thing as responsible use and that all parents will look back and regret their youthful drug use.

If parents who had problems with drugs need help talking to their children about drugs, maybe this is a good website- but what about the other parents, the ones who have no real regrets, other than perhaps lumping in drug use with a wide variety of other useful indiscretions?

I have a big problem with all of these anti-drug websites because they tend to equate use with abuse, which is just not true. You can drink a couple beers and a couple glasses of wine without being a drug addict- and you can smoke an occasional joint without being a drug addict. Kids need to be taught about responsible use, not scared by over-the-top lies and distortions.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home