Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The food police, they all seemed so nice - All they wanted was to give some advice

Carousing the internet I ran into this post from a blog called the Ethicurean (with the clever tagline, "chew the right thing"). The post complained about a recent ad campaign from my beloved Center For Consumer Freedom, in which the notion of suing "big food" over obesity related issues is ridiculed. I didn't want to really talk about the ads - I just wanted to highlight a couple paragraphs from the post of this health dude who wants us to "chew the right thing."

Let me be clear. I don’t think lawsuits are the best way to accomplish the goal of getting people to eat healthier food in this country. I smoked for 10 years, and I didn’t manage to quit last year because of the taxes, or because the state of California sued the tobacco companies and won. I quit because finally, I just couldn’t give those companies one more cent.

As anyone who reads the Wall Street Journal occasionally — or has seen the creepy docu-prop movie The Corporation — knows, corporations exist to maximize profits. And corporations that have built their businesses on selling cheap, unhealthy food can’t raise prices; they can only increase profits by getting consumers to eat more of their junk calories.


These are really the sorts of people that this world needs more of - People who have the goal of "getting people to eat healthier food" and people who criticize corporations for selling inexpensive products that everyone can actually afford. Regular readers will know how these sorts of discussions end on this blog.

Future Cartman: Haha, it's me, Cartman! You from the future. I came back to tell you that this is the day you turn it all around. You stop eating junk food and you start studying harder, you stay away from drugs and alcohol and you become CEO of your own time-travel company!

Cartman: [sets the box of cookies down] Oh wow, really? That's so awesome! Now I'll really work to be successful!

Future Cartman: Right on!

Cartman: Go have sex with yourself, asshole! I'm not that stupid! Just for that, I'm gonna spend my whole childhood eating what I waunt, and doin' drugs when I waunt! Whatevuh! I'll do what I waunt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home